SailNet Community - View Single Post - Questions about customs in the French Isles (St. Martin, Guadeloupe, Martinique)
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 08-15-2016
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Questions about customs in the French Isles (St. Martin, Guadeloupe, Martinique)

If you go between only French islands you may not be required to check in and out, but if you stop at a non-French island in between, you must clear out of the French island, into the other island, out of that island and into the next French island.
However, checking into or out of the French island is done on a computer (BEWARE the FRENCH keyboard) in a institution like a cafe or harbor master's office, and you never see an official and THEY never check your paperwork. The cost can vary from free to 5 Euros. If I were you I would ALWAYS clear out of any island I was departing from as you might have to enter an unplanned island in an emergency and the fines for not having an outbound clearance can be quite hefty.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 08-15-2016 at 01:21 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome