SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF & AIS OPTIONS: Garmin vhf 200 w Garmin AIS 600 trxcvr vs Standard Horiz GX2200...
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 08-16-2016 Thread Starter
NadiaonCatalina34

Question VHF & AIS OPTIONS: Garmin vhf 200 w Garmin AIS 600 trxcvr vs Standard Horiz GX2200...

VHF & AIS OPTIONS: Garmin vhf 200 w Garmin AIS 600 transceiver (share the vhf antenna) versus Standard Horizon GX2200 vhf(has its own AIS receiver only) with no additional AIS transceiver. (or maybe another transceiver if I can shut off the SH AIS receiver so we don't have to listen to a collision alarm 24/7)
There will be a new Garmin gps chartplotter which will be very cooperative with the Garmin vhf and AIS unit.

The old Standard Horizon gasfet technology Titan+ vhf is still working well (after 20 years!!) but we think its time to get a new vhf that has new technology - like a DSC button for one thing. This old vhf has been way better than awesome!

Please respond with opinions and experiences; I am especially interested in comments on the Garmin vhf 200 as Garmin states that they make this radio themselves and do not sub it out to major manufacturers. I am very comfortable with SH and Icom vhfs.

Thank you!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome