SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF & AIS OPTIONS: Garmin vhf 200 w Garmin AIS 600 trxcvr vs Standard Horiz GX2200...
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 08-16-2016 Thread Starter
NadiaonCatalina34

Re: VHF & AIS OPTIONS: Garmin vhf 200 w Garmin AIS 600 trxcvr vs Standard Horiz GX220

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hello,

I don't think you are making a valid comparison here. Do you want to broadcast and receive AIS info or just receive it? If it's just receive then you have a number of possible products:
SH 2200
Garmin VHF 300 AIS
B&G V50
Lowrance Link8
Raymarine Ray 70
Others too?

The SH radio uses NMEA0183 while the others can use NMEA 2000 or 0183.

If you want to broadcast AIS then each vendor also has a transceiver.

I have the B&G and I'm happy with it. When I bought it there were a few bugs but the latest firmware seems to have solved those problems.

Good luck,
Barry
Thanks!
We originally thought receive AIS only, but have moved on to transceive for the AIS.
I won't consider Raymarine or Navico for this situation (Lowrance, B&G, and Simard are all Navico.)
This is mostly because if I am not going to take advantage of the smooth communication and added features of using the Garmin units with a Garmin gps, then I'll make my choice based upon the vhf manufacturer, quality and reliability.

I think the real question might be, is there any reason to choose the Standard Horizon gx2200 over the Garmin vhf 200? I don't want a lower model unit than the gx2200 because we want automatic fog signals to use with the hailer speaker.
I have not found any comments any where about the Garmin vhf 200.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome