SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF & AIS OPTIONS: Garmin vhf 200 w Garmin AIS 600 trxcvr vs Standard Horiz GX2200...
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 08-16-2016
alctel

Re: VHF & AIS OPTIONS: Garmin vhf 200 w Garmin AIS 600 trxcvr vs Standard Horiz GX220

Whatever you get, try to make sure its NMEA2000.

Also, if you get a transponder I'd really use a separate antenna for it mounted on the spread or the rear rail. It's great redundancy, as your VHF can use the AIS one and vice versa - my VHF and AIS units are next to each other for this reason.

I've got the Simrad RS35 which is the same as the B&G 50 unit, and no it doesn't have internal GPS, though it's NMEA2000 so easy to hook up. It had a ton of bugs at first but the new firmware seems to have fixed all the issues. I also have a separate digital yachts AIS transponder/receiver, so the AIS function on the radio is disabled, so I can't tell you how well that works.

I have an NSS8 and I can't make a DSC call from the plotter unfortunately - though I can see and display target info from the MFP display. How does yours work Barry?

Liveaboard on a 1980 36' Hunter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to alctel For This Useful Post:
NadiaonCatalina34 (08-18-2016)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome