SailNet Community - View Single Post - Questions about customs in the French Isles (St. Martin, Guadeloupe, Martinique)
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 08-17-2016
MarkofSeaLife

Dock
Re: Questions about customs in the French Isles (St. Martin, Guadeloupe, Martinique)

I'd use Moorings/Sunsail from Oyster Pond

Because of filghts/times/lenghts/distance from airport i would seriously consider having a night before and after in Simpson Bay at Mary's Boon. Its $100 per night, beach front. At that price its NOT TOP LINE RESORT! But it is in the cruising hub and you can walk to the Yacht Club and see the boats go through the bridge, see the supermegahugybigyachts at Isle de Sol (you can go for a drink there leaving id at the gate), say hi to 'real' cruisers etc.

Then next morning refreshed (hung over) taxi to Oyster Pond and be the first people in line for their boat.
Same with the last charter day. Its so manic its nice to have a relax night in Simpson bay.

Best time to go December throu March. Thats peak season. Its exciting.

Other times of the year its much quieter, all the mega yachts are back in the Med, most of the cruisers are down south.

I get off on the excitement of the Season. Sharing a bay with a 200 foot boat whose tender is bigger than my boat, window shopping in St Barts where you ask the price just to go 'wowwwwwwww' pretending you can afford it.
The sailing is good. Its grown up sailing... Not 5 miles mooring ball to mooring ball but 15 miles in full tradewinds where you have to navigate, have to double headlands, have to use tactics, have to anchor, have to clear in and out.

Marys Boon. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...St_Martin.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (79.3 KB, 8 views)

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 08-17-2016 at 11:15 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome