SailNet Community - View Single Post - New to in Mast Furling Couple of Questions
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 08-28-2016 Thread Starter
DayDreamer41

New to in Mast Furling Couple of Questions

Having never had in mast furling I though for my second post here I would ask a couple of questions regarding the operation of the furling system, this topic has undoubtedly been covered numerous times and I have looked and while previous posts have touched on the subject I did not find the specific answers.

Question #1 - Is reefing the main as simple as furling a portion of the sail back into the main?, after which putting some tension on the out haul and securing the furling lines. I don't recollect seeing any specific reef points marked on the boom when I was on the boat we are in the process of purchasing, which leads me to believe that reducing the main sail area is done by feel, at least until one becomes more familiar with the relationship between wind speed and main sail area.

Question #2 - Removing the main sail for winter storage? is this accomplished by simply unfurling the main, remove a clevis from the tack, pull the sail down and out of the track, remove the clevis from the head of the sail, fold nicely and store for winter or send to sail loft for inspection and any repairs which may be recommended?

Last edited by DayDreamer41; 08-28-2016 at 09:44 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome