SailNet Community - View Single Post - New to in Mast Furling Couple of Questions
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 08-28-2016
capta
Master Mariner

Re: New to in Mast Furling Couple of Questions

In mast furling equals infinite reefing; reef as little or as much as suits the conditions.
There is a learning curve w/inmast furling. Go slow until you get used to your system and don't force things. NEVER force things. If the sail gets hung up going in our out, STOP and reverse. Then go on slowly with what you were trying to do. An older baggy sail will be harder to furl/unfurl than a crisp new one, so take that into account and be patient.
As for removing the sail, roll it all the way out, then loose the halyard and it should slide down, just like a roller furling jib. You should have a foil in the mast quite similar to what the headsails use.
Good luck and I hope you come to love your inmast furling as much as we do ours. It's almost like having a jib instead of a boom sail. You can get a lovely shape by using the outhaul, sheet and a vang to the jib track.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
DayDreamer41 (08-29-2016)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome