SailNet Community - View Single Post - New to in Mast Furling Couple of Questions
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 08-29-2016
capta
Master Mariner

Re: New to in Mast Furling Couple of Questions

I didn't mention that we'll put the sail up (pull it out) on any point of sail. Just last week we kept the boom amidships and did it dead down wind! Dropping it we can furl as far out as a broad reach, though usually we do it on a beam reach with the sheet eased. Reefing we can do on any point of sail, even a run.
However, I don't recommend your trying that until you are well and truly comfortable with your system, and know all it's quirks. We've been sailing this rig for 6 years now, in winds normally 18 to 25 knots and occasionally to 40, so we are pretty familiar with our set up. It is a real blessing though, not to care what point of sail we are on, when we wish to shorten sail or even furl or unfurl it.
Good luck. I'm sure if you take it easy, you'll also be a fan of 'infinite reefing'.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome