SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #1367 of Old 09-11-2016
Ajax_MD
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Gary,

After Sandy, a breakwater was built to shelter the channel. It's low but it does seem to work.
The channel has been dredged and the daymarks appear to be new-ish. The channel still shifted a bit because there is a temporary green buoy about 1/3 of the way into the channel. I also saw something that I've only seen once before- at a couple of places there are pairs of PVC pipe poking out of the water with either red or green reflective tape on the tips. I think these are just guides to keep you in the channel.

My slip was pretty shallow, but soft and silty. We departed about 2 hours after high tide and had to plow our way out of the slip but only for a few feet. Then we were in 15 feet of water until we reached the channel.

The bottom line is that I draw 4' 6" and with the channel itself there was very little drama. I had 6 or 7 feet the entire way so you should have no trouble at all. My drama occurred when I didn't know exactly where Capt. Eades' marina was until the last moment and was swept past it. I believe this was an abnormal condition created by surge and wind from TS Hermine. The locals all said that they'd be glad when the storm died down and tides returned to normal.

Oh- we did take home a half Smith Island cake. We gave some away to friends and ate the rest already.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome