SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #1370 of Old 09-11-2016
TakeFive

Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Well, we ended up going with Plan C today. Plan A was Worton Creek. We left at 1030 and spent over 2 hours trying to make headway, but we were getting pounded by 15-20 kt NW wind and 3+ ft chop across the huge fetch, making only about 2 kts with motor, so we turned around and made 6.5 kts on partial genoa alone, planning to head to Grays Inn Creek (Plan B). We made it back to Swan Point Bar in about 30 minutes. But it was getting late to start in the opposite direction, especially knowing we'd have to beat to the north again once into Chester River (albeit against a shorter fetch). By this time (about 1400), breezes and sea state had moderated significantly. I looked toward the west and realized we'd have a nice, easy broad reach, and we were ready for it at that point. So we headed for Magothy River, which was our Plan C only because we've been there so many times before.

There were no sea nettles around and a few people swimming, so I jumped in with a push broom and swim fins and gave the bottom a good scrubbing. The water was really refreshing. Our boat's swim platform with fold down ladder and hot/cold cockpit shower really make this a great boat for jumping in.

We got lots of great pics of the breathtaking sunset, but it has become a real pain to reduce their size manually, so if anyone wants to see them you'll have to friend me on Facebook:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1496259315

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall, MD

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome