SailNet Community - View Single Post - Should I only use the house bank at dock?
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 09-12-2016
Maine Sail
Super Moderator

Re: Should I only use the house bank at dock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshrimpt View Post
All,

My charger is connected to the battery switch common post so in order to charge both the house bank and the starter battery, the "Both" position must be selected.

My question is should I only select/charge the house bank when at the dock? Having both batteries selected means I'm running my refer off both the house and starter batteries at the same time. I'm not sure if this is an issue when the charger is in float mode and most of the power is coming from the AC feed to the charger.

Thanks,

Shrimp
Does your Xantrex inverter/charger have the Echo Charge feature built in?

An inverter/charger should connect directly to the house bank via its own independent ON/OFF not via a 1/2/BOTH. It is considered a poor practice installation when the inverter can inadvertently be set to discharge the start battery.

If you don't have an Echo Charger on your I/C then the start battery could be charged via an added Echo Charger or you can add an ACR between house and start.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome