SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #1387 of Old 09-13-2016
chef2sail

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

This hit a cord with me, not negative I hope I can express this as sometimes internet words don't convey true feelings

Donna and I have know you and Sharon almost 10 years now and love getting together with you guys. I remember hosting 5 Sailnet Rondevous atMYC and you were there every year. I still have Joe M pictures of the original Spindrift that day he perched on top of the route 450 bridge and shot them Whenever we do get together we always talk forever it seems and we treasure your friendship. We enjoy seeing you guys now as parents of besutiful Mallory. We read Sharon's Facebook posts and always laugh and are amazed how she has grown.

Yeah we are empty nesters....dinks actually ...but we always remember what is was having kids ourselves and the joy they bring. We love seeing families out on boats as a unit. In today's world of all the external influences it's so important. There is no greater gift you can be as that of being a parent.

While it's true we have already spent many years of our lives already raising our kids, no way would we ever feel uncomfortable with young or and kids around us in our marina or anchorage. We don't look at them as an annoyance or ruining our experience, quite the contrary. Owning a sailboat is expensive and not many families have the expendable income or more important expendable time when they have children. More when they are younger, but once they are involved in activities the boating times often take a back seat to their sports or interests in organized activities.

It becomes a balancing act then. I think Rick is just comming out of that with his kids growing up and finding lives/ spouses of their own, when that happens. After you raise your kids and they become independent, believe or not they do😀😀👍and the center of focus is their own life including you occasionally hopefully. That leaves you and your wife time to focus on each other or do things without worrying about time spent. That's where we are are we still work

None
Of this takes into account your career and ability to work at something you like and can contribute to others as well as insure your livelihood later in life when the work stops.

We have seen some young sailboat families huddle together and stay away from the "old folks" as they feel they are bothering or disturbing us. Nothing could be further from the truth. I think it's healthy to have friends of all ages. I wouldn't want to hang out with all dinks all the time. It's balance

You and Sharon have always been part of that balance for us and we treasure your friendship and the time we can spend together. It has been less because of Mallory I think but that's what happens. We miss seeing you, but understand your lives have changed ( for the good) your both great parents.
We have a picture of her at her first B day party in our house.

Going further down the Bay may isolate you some in addition you won't find the sailing community any different I think. Donna and I when we retire in a couple years will probably move our boat ( which ever one we have then) to Solomons . Not worrying about traffic anymore. It will open the Southetn Bay up to us which we like. But it is more isolated there until you get to the Rappohannok.

We spent 10 years at MYC which we don't regret, but we also found ourself going to the same spots eventually. Add the drama and financial position and fees of the club we moved. to where we are was substantially cheaper , almost $2800, and has afforded us many new places to get to on weekends without increasing our drive much as we still work and only have weekends till we retire. We have really enjoyed our first year in the mid Bay region. Choptank is close now, St Micheals, Wye are closer, Chester is closer, Solomons only 42 miles away
Worton and Still Pond still easily reachable in a day.

I would look like you were in Annpolis region, West River, Rhode River, where we are and that area. A two hour ride to Solomons will deter you from a day sail. Look at private slips or just a basic marina. They are out there. Check us out.

No matter where you land, we will always be your friends and connected to you, Sharon and Mallory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome