SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 27 questions
View Single Post
post #24 of Old 09-13-2016
flo617

Re: Catalina 27 questions

My Yanmar 2GM20F diesel has never (truly) failed me when on the water. It always starts on the first try except when the battery is dead of course. That being said I can't say I love it. Access is usually hard on these small boats and there is maintenance to be done on it in sometimes painful to reach places. It has a tendency to stink up the cabin when I use it for a long time. It also depends on how well it was installed in the first place. Check for the engine mounts to make sure they are serviceable (no rotten wood underneath or mounts beyond recovery) and that the fuel tank is not rusting away etc... Like Roverhi mentioned, on a formed sea, a diesel with a prop deep in the water will perform much better than an outboard, always good when that cargo ship is getting a little too close for comfort and there is no wind but if it's just to get in and out of the slip it's another story.

Another advantage of an inboard is the fact that it won't be stolen. Outboard theft is rampant in my neck of the woods.

PS: tiller all the way. On a wheeled Catalina30 I checked a long time ago, the rudder stock was protruding in the back. If that's the case it should be very easy to change back to tiller.

Last edited by flo617; 09-13-2016 at 11:27 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome