SailNet Community - View Single Post - Prescription medications in your kit
View Single Post
post #13 of Old 09-26-2016
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Prescription medications in your kit

When my father, a surgeon, put together a medical kit for my circumnavigation in 1970, he gave me an older Merck Manual and butterfly bandages, as well as some antibiotics, Lomotil for food poisoning and some speed for emergencies where I might need to stay awake for a prolonged period, among other things like bandages and tape.
When I asked why no sutures he stated that it was likely we wouldn't be able to clean the wound sufficiently to close the wound and the butterfly bandages would allow the wound to seep without containing an infection.
The older Merck Manual was actually a stroke of genius as it recommended medicines available in the 3rd world at the time, not cutting edge meds that we would find only in the US. This book actually enabled us to diagnose and save the lives of a few people, including several children on islands without medical personnel, using the meds available in their clinic.
I'm pretty good at sewing sails but frankly, I doubt I'd have been able to suture a wound properly in heavy weather, anyway.
Medications have a definite shelf life, especially in the tropics, and stocking up on the latest and best may not be all that helpful when they go out of date and can't be replaced when you need them. Stick with a simple, basic kit that doesn't take skilled medical personnel to use.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome