SailNet Community - View Single Post - Prescription medications in your kit
View Single Post
post #18 of Old 09-28-2016
Minnewaska

Re: Prescription medications in your kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
....Surely there must be some kind of training standard before a physician would hand out these kind of drugs for the expressed purpose of use on a third party?
In the US, the easiest path to this credential is to become a Paramedic. These are professionals that typically work in advanced care ambulances, a step above Emergency Medical Technicians. The Paramedic may administer medication upon instruction from a physician, there may even by a few drugs they can administer on their own. This would be an ideal resource to have aboard, along with a satellite phone connection back to a tele-medicine service. I was a certified EMT-D many years ago, although, it was not my occupation. Still, I've found the life skills that I learned in that course to be invaluable.

Paramedic training requires just about a full year of class study and hundreds of hours of clinical experience. Although, it's still not what the OP is asking, as the Paramedic can't prescribe meds, they are simply trained and licensed to evaluate and administer. One still needs to figure out how to have these meds aboard in the first place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome