SailNet Community - View Single Post - Clueless Sailors?
View Single Post
post #113 of Old 10-24-2016
TomMaine

Re: Clueless Sailors?

My wife was an avid biker. Riding home from work (less than a mile), slowly going up a hill, on a straight stretch of road, in great light behind her, on her 'edge' of the road (no shoulder), the car behind her blew the bike right out from under her.

She went onto the hood of the car, and right side of her face smashed into the windshield. She broke her neck(!), nose and jagged glass took off quite a bit of her face(her facial tissue was on the shattered windshield that I ran by to find her in the road side ditch with paramedics).

The driver, doing 35-40 (30Limit), never saw her. He only noticed her (police report), when she smashed his windshield. The distraction was his lunch: Packaged he'd picked up locally, it was in his passenger seat. He was eating his lunch (with a plastic fork), while driving.

I've read some of these posts and I can't help but think, it's just not a level playing field out there for bikers. Cars come out ahead, way ahead.

She's lucky that she didn't have spinal injuries, head injuries. Two major plastic surgeries later, she'll never have a properly working eyelid. She was a casual helmet user and would skip it for this short ride about 50% of time.

She's back on a bike and ALWAYS wears a helmet. She'll never go on the road, with cars again. Only bike paths. She just can't get over that feeling of a car coming up behind.

Is the driver paying attention?

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome