SailNet Community - View Single Post - CAL 25 - Tweaked Boom, Chainplate Leak - Advice welcome
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 10-24-2016 Thread Starter
Quercus

Dock
CAL 25 - Tweaked Boom, Chainplate Leak - Advice welcome

Hi SailNet. I've decided to try my hand at fixing up a well used CAL 25 in need of a round of repairs.

My sailing experience: four summers aboard the 50'LOA Steel Schooner Francis Crow in the Chesapeake, the last two as first mate, working with Maryland juvenile delinquents after the boat's builder/owner/captain began working with the state of MD juvenile services department. These days I sail my Triak trimaran kayak. My boat fixing experience: Nil.

Good things about the boat:

Longtime owner a woman who ran sailing schools for women and maintained the boat herself. Everything in the boat is neat and tidy, and clearly owned by someone who knew how to sail and care for a boat. She has raced it, and it is obviously the opposite of a dock queen in a good way. The boat was dry and not musty on the damp rainy day when I first looked at it on its stands. Newish Main from North Sails. All the stuff is on the boat. Canvas over-boom cover. Man overboard systems. Lines look modern and newish and ready to sail. Standing rigging looks good. (Did not go aloft) Yamaha 9.9.

The problems with the boat:

1. Apparent leaking at starboard chainplate. Laminated beam that runs under deck and mast has some delimitation under that leak. Center of beam seems strong. This beam is already a replacement for another; I understand that this is a standard problem on the CALs.

2. Boom was somehow torqued were the cast metal part of the main aluminum extruded section of the boom attaches to the articulated knuckle at the mast. Owner states that it happened when kids were swinging out over the water on it and jumping in. It looks like one could take a large crescent wrench and simply torque it back into position -- it seems to be simply twisted on the bolt that holds those parts together. No metal is bent or damaged; the boom is simply uniformly askew along the way.

3. Some give in the decks on that starboard side. Not mushy or spongy, but not factory strong.

4. hairline crack in the finish of the back edge of the rudder. I read (on SailNet) that the laminated construction of the rudder
can be a problem, so I looked. Good tip.

5. All the usual cosmetics. Teak. Interior paint flaking, etc. Low on my list, though the teak around the hatchway will get attention right away to keep it functional, it's well worn.

Our plans for the boat:

We're a family on a budget but plan to spend our usual summer travel money on keeping this boat for at least a couple summers at a nearby small yacht club that is within bicycle distance. Our boys are 10 and 12 and we'd like for them to have the boating experiences that kids growing up on Long Island Sound ought to have.

So we'd like to fix things as necessary rather than pour money into it at the outset, especially while I finish a doctorate.

Looking for advice/confirmation on what to tackle first.

I think the decks and the beam can wait until spring or -- maybe hopefully -- next fall after a season of sailing and making sure that it is the right thing for our family before doing a major repair.

I think that the main thing I should do before winter sets in is to dremel out the small crack running along the back of the rudder and fill it. Since the rudder will be exposed all winter, letting more water in and having it freeze seems a very bad idea. A new rudder sounds expensive and very un-DIY.

So... How much material should I remove? What should I fill it with? What should I seal it with?

Thanks for reading this newbie's long post. I will get photos up when photo bucket gets its act together.

Last edited by Quercus; 10-24-2016 at 08:32 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome