SailNet Community - View Single Post - Clueless Sailors?
View Single Post
post #129 of Old 10-25-2016
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Clueless Sailors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
I can NEVER figure out if I'm the stand-on or give-way vessel.
Very, very simply, under power it is much the same as in a car: give way to the vessel to your right, like you would at a 4 way stop sign. The overtaking vessel (the one passing) always has the burden, under sail or power.
Starboard tack (a boat is on the starboard tack when the boom is out to port or if no boom, the wind from the starboard side) is the privileged vessel much of the time.
There's a lot more to it, but as I said, very simply these are the basics. However, please remember that the other guy may be even more clueless than you, so just as in a car, drive defensively in your boat!
I'd suggest you pickup a copy of Royce's Sailing Illustrated, by far the best all around book on sailing, in a fun format. No heavy reading here.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 10-25-2016 at 05:46 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome