SailNet Community - View Single Post - Brass thru-hulls?
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 12-02-2016
boatpoker
Dirt Free

Re: Brass thru-hulls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecrusin View Post
Boatpoker, the Blake seacock is a DZR brass that can be used for seacocks but I don't know of any other valve makers that use DZR brass for their valves. I was corrected by a metallurgist on saying all brass is a no go for the reason you sight.

FAQs
DZR (DeZincification Resistant brass) is a better quality brass alloy witha lower zinc content than normal brass with a couple of other metals thrown in and will do the job but not for as long as a good quality bronze.

There is still a bit of a crap shoot even buying brand name bronze Groco who had a great product and reputation for decades screwed up badly some years ago when theY switched production to China and did not supervise closely enough ..... result a huge recall. Don't trust Chinese metallurgy

As to Marelon .... yes, I have no problem with sizes 1.5" and over but the smaller ones give me the creeps. In a survey I used to put my foot on seacocks and apply a little pressure as they are supposed to handle up to 500lbs. lateral force. Let me just say that I learned the hard way that the smaller Marelon units were not up to the 500lb. standard.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome