SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

DrakeParagon: Season 3

16K views 85 replies 22 participants last post by  Steph40 
#1 ·
trailer: DrakeParagon Season 3

#64 ·
She's Alive! | #31 | DrakeParagon Season 3

After 2 1/2 days of extreme seasickness, Monique is finally able to find her sea legs and jumps into the watch rotation, giving the rest of the crew some much needed rest. As plans and calculations are made for landfall, Paragon is visited by a group (or should I say a pod?) of playful visitors. Stay with us to see what happens next!

#65 ·
Land Ho! | #32 | DrakeParagon Season 3

The first leg of the voyage to Greenland nears completion as the first sight of land appears in the distance..Nova Scotia! Drake remembers years past and wonders what will happen as Paragon enters Lunenburg Harbour. Will customs search the boat, is there enough depth to anchor, how long will the crew remain here? All questions soon to be answered...stay with us!

#66 ·
O Canada! | #33 | DrakeParagon Season 3

Paragon enters Lunenburg Harbour and is greeted by the sweet smell of land. There's no rest for the crew, however, as they scramble to contact customs and learn that the journey may not be over. Will they need to travel an additional five hours to meet with border agents? Stay with us!

#68 ·
Big Jib, Small Jib, Good Jib, Bad Jib | #35 | DrakeParagon Season 3

"The rigging is right, the sail is right, but they're not right together." -Éanna. A new jib of a different size caused all sorts of problems while at sea. With no time to install new hardware, a decision is made to swap out this new sail for the older, larger version. We finish the task with help from a local, then stumble on a little piece of history and...East Germany?

#69 ·
Heading into the Unknown | #36 | DrakeParagon Season 3

Living together in close quarters is part of the reality of this adventure, and open communication helps to keep it smooth sailing for everyone. Drake and Éanna take some time (over beers!) to check in with one another and discuss what lies ahead. They also perform a test flight for the quadcopter. Why not do that over water...what could possibly go wrong? Stay with us!

#70 ·
Our Last Day in Nova Scotia | #37 | DrakeParagon Season 3

While Drake stays aboard to finish preparations for pushing off, Eanna and Mo head to shore. They split up and Eanna checks out the sweeter side of Lunenburg at the Ironworks Distillery...including Phoebe, the cutest greeter ever! Then we pour over the weather reports to see if the forecast is favourable, including an ice report. Will we see icebergs? Will we push off? Stay with us!

#71 ·
Goodbye Lunenburg | #38 | DrakeParagon Season 3

Lunenburg has been great fun but, when a weather window presents itself, the decision is made to push off for Newfoundland. We scramble to get Paragon sorted for a longer voyage yet also find time for a bit of practice filming with Harry. We won't let a bit of fog stop us...or will we? Stay with us!

#72 · (Edited)
Riding the Spreaders | #39 | DrakeParagon Season 3

The anchor is up and Paragon is underway. With the wind in our sails the journey is off to a good start...now if only we had a better view. Leave it to Drake to take matters into his own hands.

If you enjoyed this video, then give it a thumbs up, making a comment, or support this documentary at patreon.com/DrakeParagon

#73 ·
Christmas Sex in Mexico | #40 | DrakeParagon Season 3

If you had a choice between an auto pilot or a wind vane, which would you choose? We discuss this and more as Paragon voyages into her second, rather foggy day...and even enjoy a taste of Christmas Sex in Mexico? Stay with us!

If you enjoyed this video, then give it a thumbs up, making a comment, or support this documentary at patreon.com/DrakeParagon

#74 ·
What's For Dinner? | #41 | DrakeParagon Season 3

Light and variable winds? A rolling boat? A whisker pole that just won't cooperate? It's all made good when the captain cooks up something fabulous! Let's check out the galley and see how well you can eat at sea...at least when Drake is the cook! :)

#75 ·
Hey Drake & crew-

Been catching up on your exploits (binge form) and love what you do! Been kinda back and forth lately watching season 2 heading into Block Island to Newport and all the land/sea exploration/navigation. Followed with the mast work from season 1 which I found EXTREMELY informative. You guys are putting out some incredible, down to earth info that I can use. Thanks again, fair winds and following seas.

#76 ·
Buzzed at Sea | #43 | DrakeParagon Sailing Season 3

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's...all of the above? We get some expected and unexpected visitors (dolphins anyone?) as we near the end of our sail to Newfoundland. A difficult night makes for a subdued day, and we all look forward to making landfall soon.

If you enjoyed this video, then please consider giving it a thumbs up, making a comment, or supporting this documentary at https://www.patreon.com/DrakeParagon

#77 ·
The Preventer Lady | #44 | DrakeParagon Sailing Season 3

There's a buzz in the air, and this time it's not a plane. Land! We can smell it and, despite being a day away, the entire crew is excited! There's still much to do as Mo gets a lesson in setting the sails just as a heavy fog envelops the boat. Will the mist put a damper on the crew's spirits? Stay with us!

If you enjoyed this video, then please consider giving it a thumbs up, making a comment, or supporting this documentary at https://www.patreon.com/DrakeParagon

#78 ·
These are entertaining, as usual. I love that a sailing channel would present what it was like to show someone how to set a preventer for the first time, along with the tribulations of point of sail, vs VMG.

The pace seems to be about one weekly or bi-weekly episode, per day of sailing, on this leg. Most of the top viewed sailing channels seem to be making an effort to get close to real time. One did it by making a couple of hour long episodes that covered massive amounts of time. Another essentially skipped about 8 months of time ashore. I think there are different emotional ties to a vicarious reality type channel and a history type channel. Only something to think about, if the Patreon counts are important.

All the best.

#79 ·
These are entertaining, as usual. I love that a sailing channel would present what it was like to show someone how to set a preventer for the first time, along with the tribulations of point of sail, vs VMG.

The pace seems to be about one weekly or bi-weekly episode, per day of sailing, on this leg. Most of the top viewed sailing channels seem to be making an effort to get close to real time. One did it by making a couple of hour long episodes that covered massive amounts of time. Another essentially skipped about 8 months of time ashore. I think there are different emotional ties to a vicarious reality type channel and a history type channel. Only something to think about, if the Patreon counts are important.

All the best.
Hi Minnewaska,

Editing our episodes takes a lot of time and work to achieve the level of production quality that we strive for. Monique and I usually spend at least 40 hours each to produce each 20 minute episode. Anything less would sacrifice production quality which is something that I'm not interested in doing. The pace of the telling of our story is set by how much time we can spend editing.

For the past 3 years, during the 6 months of Summer we have voyaged and filmed non stop. During the winter seasons we have always tried to find a place to settle down in one place and then we edit around the clock all winter to produce as many episodes as we possibly can.

In our first year of voyaging we sailed from North Carolina up the coast to Greenland and Iceland, a gigantic voyage during which time we filmed non stop and stored all of the footage onto hard drives.

During that first year of voyaging we rarely had an opportunity to spend a full week editing an episode and, even if we could, it was next to impossible to find internet that was fast enough (or cheap enough) to upload a file that large!

We spent that winter in Iceland, working around the clock to produce the 15 episodes Season 1, the 15 episodes of Don and D's Southern Cross interview and boat tour series, and the 14 episodes of Mark Lucas' A Conversation with a Rigger interview series. That winter of editing was also particularly challenging because we had to learn a new video editor called Final Cut Pro X.

Then in the Spring we sailed from Iceland to the Faroe Islands and, after few months of exploring and filming, we sailed on to Scotland, down the Caledonian Canal, and down the east coast of Ireland...a massive 6 month season of voyaging! (Iceland->Faroe->Scotland->Ireland.) During that entire season we were always on the move, and always filming, and never had the opportunity to work a full week to edit a full length 20 minute story episode, let alone find a place with fast enough wifi to upload videos that large.

We spent the next winter on the south coast of Ireland in Kinsale, where we edited the 54 episodes of Season 2, a massive undertaking for us. We didn't get out much that entire winter because we were editing video 12 hours a day.

In the Spring we sailed up the west coast of Ireland (completing a full circumnavigation of Ireland) and then sailed extensively through Scotland where we were joined by Adam (from Season 1) and his wife Kristi for several weeks. Again, always voyaging to new places we had never seen before, filming non stop, and storing all of the video onto hard drives. Never having time for a full week of editing to produce a 20 minute story episode or having fast enough internet access to upload videos of the size. We sailed with Adam and Kristi back to the Faroe Islands, and then sailed back to Scotland just in time to settle down for our 3rd winter in a safe marina.
We spent that winter working incredibly hard to produce the 43 episodes of Season 3, and the 7 lengthy episodes of our Mads Bo Falk interview and boat tour series.

It's almost hard to believe, but we currently have well over 1000 hours of unedited video footage which was filmed from our past voyaging through Canada, Greenland, Iceland, the Faroe Islands, Ireland and the United Kingdom.

The story that this footage contains is the most incredible adventure that I've ever imagined. Sometimes I still can't believe that we actually did it all, and that we were able to capture it all on film. Now with the support of our patrons, we're devoting ourselves to the monumental task of editing all of that footage into 20 minute episodes to tell that incredible story. That's our goal really. To tell this story and, most importantly, to tell it well.

As far as Patreon counts, our patrons do mean the world to us, as they make it possible for us to produce our full length episodes. As a way of saying thanks we stay in touch with up constantly with real time update videos, sharing our latest current news, answering all of their questions in video, and showing them sneak peeks of our latest real time footage which will be used to make full length episodes later on. These update videos enable us to interact with our patreon community in real time, and as often as possible.

In real time, Spring is here and our next big voyage has begun. After being hunkered down editing all winter, we're now back into full time voyaging and filming mode. Our plan from here is in many ways one of the biggest undertakings we've ever attempted. A week ago we pushed off from the Isle of Lewis in Scotland, and sailed offshore in a northerly direction for about 250 nautical miles until we reached the Faroe Islands.

We plan to explore the Faroe islands until mid July when the weather will change to make our next leg possible. We will then sail north for over eleven hundred nautical miles on the high seas from the Faroe Islands all the way to the archipelago of Svalbard at seventy nine degrees north latitude. Svalbard is one of the most northern areas on earth that is inhabited by humans (along with 2000 walruses and 2500 polar bears), and is located between Norway and the north pole.

During the Summer, even with the sun shining on Svalbard 24 hours a day, the average temperature is only 5˚C. The planning and preparations we've made for voyaging to Svalbard have been enormous, as have the requirements that we've had to meet to be granted permission by the Norwegian government to land there. We'll have around a month and a half to explore before sailing back to Norway.

On Patreon, every pledge that we receive, no matter how large or small, helps to make it possible for us to produce the best videos that we can, and we are enormously grateful. These real time updates are available for all of our patrons at www.patreon.com/DrakeParagon.

In addition, we're hoping that during this season of voyage we will be able to publish some great interviews, boat tours, and product reviews that we've filmed previously when we have enough internet access.

When we hunker down for next winter, hopefully in Northern Norway, we will continue to work on our 20 minute story episodes, Season 4.

All the best,

Drake

#80 ·
Great to hear about your adventures. Thanks for the chronological updates!

I'm not intending to be critical, only thought provoking. The only reason to care is whether increasing Patreon or subscription counts is important. One would think the higher volume channels would have similar challenges to get product published. Just recently I noticed them make a concerted effort to get closer to real time. Some lag is necessary. Really up to you. I think one of the factors is the depth of coverage. For sure, the high volume channels are skipping days, even weeks at a time to presumably focus on what they think is most entertaining. I've long suspected that the near real time vicarious factor is impactful on $$ and was interested to see they might too.

I enjoy watching your vids. All the best.

#82 ·
We are publishing videos in real time for our community on Patreon. So far in this new season of voyaging we have published 4 Real Time Update Videos.

A week ago we pushed off from Scotland and sailed to Faroe. We're now sailing all over Faroe (and this place is amazing! :) Soon we will push off for Svalbard, just 600 nautical miles from the north pole.

Here's a link to our first Real Time Update:

Our Real Time Updates are all available for all of our patrons all the time at www.patreon.com/DrakeParagon

#81 · (Edited)
Sure, there will be pressure towards near-real-time.
We always see escalation, no matter what the product and market, but I do think web broadcasting of 'shows' has the strong future, and will continue to eat into conventional broadcasting. Maybe not as greatly and quickly as print has been impacted, but still by a great deal. It's nothing but upwards an onwards.....

With so many now into it, I think you decide what game/level you will play..and just do that well. It's real work, not 'cruising' (our app).

Personally, I enjoy the 'real' productions and I really like to see/learn without exaggeration. Thongs and bikinis are a dime a dozen....maybe now a penny a dozen...:)
But you chose your market and then go for it.

Maybe we'll see intern students at universities doing editing to bring it sooner, and eventually there will be some doing fulltime production enroute.

The dollars and personal desires will be the filtering controls.

Just thoughts....

#83 ·
Season 3 Finale: Arrival in St. John's, Newfoundland | #45 | DrakeParagon Sailing S

Land Ho! After nearly a week at sea, Paragon arrives at her last destination on the North American continent. Of course it's not all smooth sailing as a thick fog descends just as we near the harbour. But a fantastic group welcomes us (with not one pod, but two!) and raises everyone's spirits! Join us in the Finale of Season 3 as we enter our last Canadian harbour on the way to Greenland!

#85 ·
Thanks Smackdaddy! :) In real time, we've been exploring the Faroe Islands for the past month since sailing up from Scotland, and we're really excited about pushing off Spitsbergen/Svalbard at 79 degrees north latitude next month.

I've never sailed that far north. We'll be just 600 nautical miles from the north pole, and I've got about 700 nautical miles of voyaging all over the archipelago planned.

I can't wait to film it all! There are far more polar bears and walruses than there are people. There are lots of amazing ruins - from whaling stations to an abandoned Soviet coal mining cities, to crashed Nazi bomber planes. There are tons glaciers and icebergs everywhere, and we'll be going to some of the most remote places.

Future season of DrakeParagon! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.