SailNet Community - View Single Post - PSC 34 aft water tank access
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 12-20-2016
svjobeth

Re: PSC 34 aft water tank access

We modified our quarterberth on Jo Beth as you described. (And as Rain Dog pointed out, it is a much better use of space - much better. It's our 'dry' cockpit locker.) The bulkhead that separates this 'new' cockpit locker from the main cabin area was designed by us and built to be removable, though removing it is no small task. It was removed once when the boatyard where we did our refit blew the lid seal while trying to clear a blocked vent line. I hope to not have to do it again for a long time.

We also had a similar issue with the aft tank as you describe. On our boat, there is a small gap between the inboard side of the water tank and the side of the liner which form the cockpit. We were able to reach the area where our tank was leaking and shove gobs - and I do mean gobs - of 3M 5200 there - and we were able to do it without removing the bulkhead or the tank lid.

As a part of our recent refit, we had replaced the tank lids on all of our tanks with new ones ordered directly from PS. However, the crack(s) in our aft tank were not visible from the inside of thank when the tank was opened up during repair and clean-up of the tank interior before the new lid went on. I suppose the pressure of water in the tank caused the cracks to open up, and leak when we were heeled over on a starboard tack.

Good luck!

Bill & Lisa Ballard
S/V Jo Beth
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome