SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alright, I hope I don't get clobbered here
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 01-01-2017
eherlihy
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Alright, I hope I don't get clobbered here

Find a local sailing club and start attending the meetings. I am in Ft Myers, and there is one here. Sailors are always looking for crew, and while experience helps, it is not the only criteria. I don't suggest that you crew for a race, unless you like getting yelled at, but you should be able to tag along on a cruise. I have trained more than my share of cruisers through membership in a sailing club.

If you go out on someone else's boat as a guest, bring food, snacks and beverage for AT LEAST yourself and the skipper.

Taking either US Sailing's Basic Keel Boat, or ASA's 101 would give you a leg up, and some valuable experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
433050 (01-01-2017)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome