SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alright, I hope I don't get clobbered here
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 01-01-2017
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Alright, I hope I don't get clobbered here

There's a LOT more to being a liveaboard boat owner than just knowing how to move the boat around, be it under sail or power. If you are very well set economically, then the majority of the maintenance and repairs can be paid for. That only leaves the problem of finding reputable, capable repair and maintenance people wherever you travel, not an easy thing in itself. However, there are always things that fail underway, so you'll need some skills to deal with the most common ones.
I'm not trying to turn you off, just point out an often forgotten fact of boat ownership. There are a lot of systems that require maintenance and repair aboard boats.
The sailing is the easy part. It sure ain't rocket science. Anybody can learn to sail in about 40 hours of concentrated sailing. Another week or two for docking, anchoring, weather and navigation and you're off to the Bahamas or Hawaii, depending on which coast you live on. And all that's a lot more fun than changing the oil on the main engine and generator, just to name a couple of the less glamorous jobs that come up regularly.
So before you jump into the dream, check out the less fun aspects and see if you will be OK either learning to do these things or have the finances to have them done. I have been doing this stuff since I was 12 so I've got a pretty good handle on what's what. At 70, I've a much younger partner to help with a lot of the maintenance and repairs because, quite frankly, I don't have enough desire to do the sailing, if I had to do all the maintenance and repairs myself.
Another option for you might be to learn the sailing and seamanship stuff and then travel to places and rent a bareboat to sail there. No maintenance or repairs, just the fun part.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
433050 (01-02-2017)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome