SailNet Community - View Single Post - Change Out Tiller for Wheel & Binnacle
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 01-09-2017
Jeff_H
Administrator

Re: Change Out Tiller for Wheel & Binnacle

I know that some of these boats have a tee cockpit and were equipped from the factory with wheel steering, but I would suggest that it would be an awful mistake to put wheel steering on this boat.

My recollection of the tiller steered Seafarer 26 is that the boat had a light and responsive helm and that the tiller put the helmsman in a good position to see the sails and make adjustments to the bridge mounted traveler and coaming mounted jib sheets. And while you can probably buy a system from Edson steering, who probably would have made the original wheel steering systems for these boats, the cost to by the system, modify the rudder post, beef up guide pulley mounting points etc. would greatly exceed the fair market price of the entire boat.

I guess my question to you would be, what is it that you are trying to accomplish by converting your boat to wheel steering.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome