SailNet Community - View Single Post - Change Out Tiller for Wheel & Binnacle
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 01-09-2017
twoshoes

Re: Change Out Tiller for Wheel & Binnacle

You wouldn't be changing out a tiller for a wheel. You'd be adding a wheel and would have your tiller stowed somewhere as a back up. Preferring a wheel/binnacle over a tiller in smaller vessels is a personal preference, albeit a pretty unpopular one it seems. It's a preference I have none the less. Despite some 12 years sailing various vessels both tiller and wheel, pointing a stick in opposite direction of where I want to go just never sat well with me, nor do I see any of the advantages people purport a tiller to have over a wheel other than space while parked at the dock.

My boat is 25' and had dealer installed wheel steering when it was sold new. Yes it is obtrusive while sitting at the dock but the wheel can be removed in less than a minute freeing up much more space. Also it is not as near as obtrusive (at least to other crew in the cockpit) as a tiller while sailing IMO and I bought the boat to sail, not sit at the dock. In addition to being my preferred method of steering it also currently gives me a place to mount a compass, GPS, cup holder, holder for a handheld radio, wheel pilot, and future plans include a folding cockpit table.

Hopefully I won't be looked down upon for my heresy, although I must add that my boat has a 9ft beam which is more than many 27 footers have, giving it a bit more space in the cockpit than you'd think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by twoshoes; 01-09-2017 at 06:50 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome