SailNet Community - View Single Post - Kid Boat THread
Thread: Kid Boat THread
View Single Post
post #17 of Old 01-12-2017
norm6804

Re: Kid Boat THread

Have 2 kids, ages 11 (girl) and 8 (boy). I've had my 22 foot for about 2 years now and haven't really had much success getting the kids interested in the sport. The partner likes sailing, just doesn't have very much experience. I sailed extensively when I was younger but really have been out of the sport since my early 20's, now in my late 40's.
I sail mostly day sailing although the boat is big enough to sleep us for a night or 2. My boat is kept at a marina at the western edge of Lake Huron's North Channel, so, there is ample spots to anchor out of the nasty stuff that Lake Huron can stir up.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what activities can be done to keep them occupied. At their ages they are into iPads, etc.
They say that sailing is too slow and boring but to the partner and I it is peace and tranquility. LOL.
I'm also currently looking to upgrade to a larger boat but only up to a 26 to 28 foot, more or less to get a little bit more room and much needed headroom that the 22 footer doesn't have.
Thanks for any input.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome