SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hughes 38 Rigging
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 01-17-2017
SVTatia

Re: Hughes 38 Rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
...Get rid of the wire halyards and go with all rope. Would go with at least 3/8" NE VPC for the main and preferably a dyneema type cored line if you can afford it.
Easier said than done. I have wire external halyards and was thinking of replacing with rope mainly due to the danger of the winch... So far I have not have any problems and will be keeping the current system with half wire half rope. To replace, I would need a new winch mounted on the mast, perhaps new sheaves, also, now the wire is contained in the winch eliminating clutter at the mast base, which I like.

@North Channel Sailor - you have a lot of good work ahead before needing halyards, no? I was in the same boat so to speak a few years back, but I focused on the restoration of the boat and hull inside/outside before I launched and started thinking about the rig. Finish the boat and go sailing with the current configuration before making drastic changes, just replace bad stuff that has fish hooks, wire halyards are cheap.
Just saying... my two cents...
Good luck with your project. You have a beautiful good old boat to bring back to life.
Where are you located?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome