SailNet Community - View Single Post - On a 34...how to clean the space beneath the stove...
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 02-20-2017
wsmurdoch

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Re: On a 34...how to clean the space beneath the stove...

Here is an un-staged, un-cleaned, un-retouched photo of the space under our stove after living aboard underway for about a month. The stove is a Seaward Hillerange Princess two burner LPG stove with oven.

Originally the installation had a single hole to lock the stove level and keep it from swinging. On our trips to the Bahamas with four jugs of fuel on the starboard rail, the quarter berth filled with beer and Diet Coke, and the aft water tank full, the boat took on a decided list to starboard. Anchored, it was hard to fry an egg and the pancakes were oddly shaped. I made the stainless steel sector you see with nine holes so I could lock the stove level at anchor no matter what the boat's heel. Later, I added a tenth hole way back to lock the stove in its full swing position to clean under the stove and to give me better access to the tea kettle, the tea pot, the griddle, and the Nordic waffle iron (in the blue fleece bag) that are stored under the stove.

A quick wipe with 409 or similar keeps it clean; Bar Keeper Friend for the dried on grease (as well as making stainless steel shine). I tend to avoid the Clorox stuff because it corrodes steel, and the parts of the stove you can't see are steel.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
https://cms.winlink.org:444/maps/Pos...%20for%20AK4PO at the red drop.
Irish Eyes to the Bahamas

Last edited by wsmurdoch; 02-20-2017 at 06:09 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome