SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

126K views 1K replies 51 participants last post by  oldlaxer1 
#1 ·
New thread for the new year. Can one of the mods please make it a sticky

Happy New Year to all our friends who ply the Chessi.e. And have a great sailing year.
Now who's the first one out?

#362 · (Edited)
I'd like to see that gear someday. Point-to-point wiring in the RJ-45 box? It's easy to think of changes. *grin* How about pin headers and jumpers for future changes?
Good point. Seven years in fresh water with dehumidifier running 24/7 may have lulled me into complacency. Time to work on the next generation.

Meanwhile, do you think there would be any benefit to monitoring resistance through the box? I could make some plug-in crossover shunts that put all 8 wires in series so I could do a single resistance measurement across all 8 wires (increasing sensitivity a bit), and monitor periodically for changes.

Also more proactively, is there any anti-corrosion treatment I could try at the contact points? Perhaps some NO-OX-ID A-Special, which I have available for things like this.

#364 ·
Looks like the weather gurus got it wrong. This morning is beautiful. Crispy temps and a peak of sunshine.
watching the Hawks circling looking for prey.
Many of the Osprey nests are getting well completed on the day markers already
Looking forward to a great sailing day back to the barn.

#369 ·
Married off daughter #1 on a cold, drizzly Saturday. Even in the rain, the venue looked great. Plenty of good food and music, just difficult to get moving in the cold.

The rain should move off by Wednesday morning and I'm hopeful for dry conditions and maybe a tiny bit of sunshine for the evening race.
I'm definitely looking to take an overnight trip this weekend.

:2 boat:

#374 ·
Until the real answer comes along I'm betting the #2 pencils are for using the eraser end to clean up the conductors.
The Rescue Tape is great stuff to have on the boat, it will seal up the antenna coax, can be used on hoses and worked great to hold my spreader boots in place (much better than rigging tape).

#378 ·
The long range weather forecast, (which is always wrong), is calling for sunshine, 82 degrees, winds of 5 to 10 from various directions, and this all begins on Friday. Think I'll stock the bar and pantry, and spend about three days on the bay doing something - even if it's wrong! Don't know where I'm going, other than south because that's the only direction you can go from the head of the bay, or when I'm coming back. Just might spend the week out there, somewhere. In many ways, it's kinda neat being retired.

Gary :cool:

#385 ·
Well, they just changed the weekend weather forecast to 40 percent chance of thundershowers for Saturday and Sunday. That SUCKS! But I don't gcare - I'm still going!
Typical July forecast just keep you eye on the T storms and if coming drop the hook and mix some green coconut margaritas.

I wouldn't expect you to stay tied up as you are not a fair weather sailor

Watch out for the debris in the upper bay. None past the bridge

If I stayed in every time there was a chance of rain Haleakula would only be used half the time, besides the forecasters seem to rarely get the precip right

Reactions: Rhapsody-NS27
#387 ·
I just received the call that Halcyon is in her slip. Good news because the sails never made it out of the back of my Explorer from when we took them off the boat last fall. Too bad John is in Las Vegas for another week and a half but that will give me time to do some cleaning on my own. Time to get the season started!

Reactions: Rhapsody-NS27
#389 ·
We have a friend's citizenship party to go to Saturday night, but hoping to get to the boat early Friday afternoon for a one night shakedown cruise. Maybe Corsica River.

#396 ·
Just looking for a little advice... I need a new mainsheet, West Marine is having a sale today only and I'm not on the boat. It's an Alberg 35, end boom sheeting to traveler, boom length 15 ft, 4 part purchase, it's about 6 feet from the end of the boom to the traveler, so I'm thinking that if I figure with the boom all the way out, it's a triangle: 15 mast to end of boom, 21 feet from end of boom to traveler, that calculates to 25 foot on the hypotenuse, so about 100' of line plus some for a tail. Does that make sense? Thinking 110 ft of 15/16 Sta Set.

#397 ·
Did you try a Google search to see if there's a downloadable manual somewhere with running rigging specs?

#401 ·
Visit the boat and take a spool of twine and do an actual measurement. With the boom extended as you would have on a DDW run. Dont leave yourself short.

Figure out which line you want to go with i.e. New England, Sampson etc.

After that I would go online and compare prices, you may save a lot with no tax and free shipping from the many websites

Running Rigging - Cruising - OnlineRopes.com

Midrange Sheets - 10mm for Cruising Sailboats | Mauri Pro Sailing

New England Ropes Sta-Set Line | APS

West Marine 40% off today

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/new-...ter-yacht-braid--P002_071_001_004?recordNum=2

Reactions: Pendragon35
#402 ·
Dave, he lives in upstate New York and has to fly space available to Baltimore. With a one day sale at West Marine, that is why he is asking for some help doing a rough calculation.with the sale price, if he buys up to 30% too much, he is still ahead of the game.

#403 ·
Yes I knew that. Wasn't sure his time frame. If you notice in my post the last site was West Marine, with a 40% off till tonight. He could order today and pick up at the store in Baltimore

I would err on the large length.

#404 ·
Wow, what a change in temps...like a switch got flipped.

Had a great smoked brisket dinner at a local eatery after we loaded Haleakula. Tomorrow we are headed somewhere...lol. But not Annapolis.
Got a couple of great pieces of Tuna for tomorrow nights dinner at anchor. Haven't decided whether we are grilling it or making sushimi- maguro and toro as I got my hands on a Maui onion, garden fresh strawberriestoday as well as a fine bottle of Chinese light brewed soy sauce.

Wegmanns had some outstanding mangos and ripe passion fruit. Last night we made blood orange sorbet with our ice cream maker so tomorrow looks like a tempting dessert with the fruit and sorbet.

Of course we hope for some wind...looks like Soutern component till Sunday but not to strong.

#405 ·
Kind of late in the day, but if the OP hasn't jumped the gun, he might consider waiting to measure his line--it certainly isn't 15/16--and ordering it from Defender at their regular discounted price. The WM Friday promotion has 5/16 New England Ropes VPC Performance Braid (for example) at $1.01/ft vs Defender at $1.10. For 9 cents a foot premium, I'd make sure of the diameter and length.

BTW, be careful to measure the diameter of old, fuzzy line properly and avoid jumping up a size inadvertently--your sheaves won't like that. Don't ask how I know!

#406 ·
South/southeast wind all day today, at least till it was time for me to head northwest, which the wind switched to when I reached Battery Island and was headed northwest up the channel to the marina. I was intending to stay out for three days, but my damned back went out about 4 p.m., so I headed for the barn and home for some pain meds. Still hurts like a damned toothache.

Great sailing today in the upper bay, winds ranged 8 to 10 steady, with a few minutes of 12 to 15. Got to test my AIS system today - I love it. When the alarm went off and said there was an AIS vessel 1.2 miles away, I zoomed out the GPS and there it was, directly behind me, a huge barge being pushed by a tug toward the Susquehanna River quarries. I had plenty of time to get out of it's way, watched in go past, cracked open a Coors Light and was lovin live till the damned back went to Hell.

Sorry I didn't make it beyond Betterton, Dave, but maybe next trip. I'll bring the pain meds with me on the next one.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

#407 ·
We got too late a start to make it to Chester River anchorages. So we reached across the Bay to Eagle Cove. Dinner, movie, and now bed. Nice breeze kept the anchor rode creaking, but I added chafe protection to stop it. We head back early tomorrow.

#408 ·
Hanging out up the Corsica River off the Chester. Beautiful sail today with 12-15 steady . Was hot on land but perfect on the water. Actually had a jacket on when we were close hauled as the water is still relatively cool. A few more boats out but for the most part we had the Chester to ourselves.

We have the anchorage to ourselves. Great dinner of two types of tuna sashimi with a couple of great dipping sauces. We made some purple Thai rice to go along with it. We brought some saki and plum wine, but I really have never gotten use to it.

Getting ready to have the homemade sorbet with fresh mangos flambeed in brandy over the top. The place is so quiet tonight with only a few circadas / crickets and one loud hoot owl in the distance.

Planning a 10 day trip for our first vacation in June to Cape Charles, Yorktown, Rappahannock, St Mary's possibly with stops in between.

Looks like the second trip in August/ September will be to the LI Sound.

#409 ·
Getting pretty hot already. This past Friday, I worked on the boat and it got to 88 inside the boat by the time I decided to call it a day. I'm far enough along in my fiberglass project, that the heat shouldn't slow my progress TOO much. Still have some more work to do, but it's getting closer to finishing up. I'm still hopeful I'll be able to launch this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.