SailNet Community - View Single Post - Record Breaking Circumnavigation
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 03-23-2017
Arcb

Re: Record Breaking Circumnavigation

I read through your website. Your go fund me campaign is asking for $85k. You have self identified as a Captain, presumably a boat Captain. I don't know how long you expect it to take to collect $85k from strangers, I think it might take a while.

Take a look at Payscale.com I have specifically chosen "Boat Captain" in the US has a Median salary of $98264/year. Even the bottom 10% make $46393/year. If you live frugally, even at the bottom 10% you could save up enough money in 3 years. I think if you were serious about meeting your goal, you could just work and make that money rather than rely on luck and the charity of strangers.

Better yet, if you really want to make some dough, get onto a ship with a terrible leave system, like a lot of cruise ships, even a junior officer can make a killing on those boats plus there are no living expenses.

When I was in my early 20's and didn't have any responsibilities, I took just such a job, after 8 months of working I paid off my student loan entirely, bought a fast motorcycle a 4x4 and took off snow boarding in the Coast Range for the next 6 months. I wasn't even an officer for that contract, I was quarter master. There are great opportunities out there for those willing to work.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...Captain/Salary

Last edited by Arcb; 03-23-2017 at 12:56 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome