SailNet Community - View Single Post - Record Breaking Circumnavigation
View Single Post
post #18 of Old 03-23-2017
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Record Breaking Circumnavigation

As a professional captain who did hundreds of deliveries way back when the pay was a measly $2 per mile, I could BANK 10k in just a few months or less. Are you only a part time delivery captain?
You could be working on a commercial fishing boat in Alaska, or rig boats, earning REAL sea time and a sh*t pot of money and not have to beg strangers to fund your playtime. I just don't see how you expect folks to fund your playtime when you aren't contributing at least the lion's share. One need not be rich to attain one's dreams, but if one isn't, then one should at least be willing to put in a lot of hard work towards that end.
I bought my first big boat, a 50' Rhodes cutter, for cash at 22. I worked the West Coast trollers and Alaska crab boats through high school and beyond to fund my dream of a circumnavigation, which I'd had since I was about 8, after reading Slocum's book. That circumnavigation took 9.5 years and sailing became my profession.
By the way, only amateurs count miles, not professionals. The guy driving the Staten Island ferry can put a lot of miles under his keel every year.
Time to close down the website and get to work earning the money you need.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome