SailNet Community - View Single Post - Converting swing board trailer to wing keel trailer?
View Single Post
post #13 of Old 03-31-2017 Thread Starter
ColoGuy
GreenasGrass

Re: Converting swing board trailer to wing keel trailer?

Yes and no....I looked it over good but have a negligible background in sailboat analysis. I'll say this:

Boat was purchased in 1978 and the keel modified in 1980.

The previous owner did say that perhaps a little too much weight was added towards the stern. The boat points slightly while docked.

He anchored off the stern. Felt that was best for him. FWIW, I also preferred to anchor off the stern with my outboard.

I wonder if it is possible that we are getting carried away with engineering details. The boat was successfully used for ~28 years after the modification.

I'd like to get back to the trailer mounting challenge which is still a daunting challenge. More on that in a minute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I wonder if all that extra weight on the keel could cause problems with the rig. When too much wind hits the rig, boats are supposed to heel. It's like a pressure relief valve for your rig.

Did you get a good look at the chain plates and standing rigging when you were at the boat?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome