SailNet Community - View Single Post - Converting swing board trailer to wing keel trailer?
View Single Post
post #20 of Old 03-31-2017
mthoma21

Re: Converting swing board trailer to wing keel trailer?

The older S2's did come in the swing / shoal / fin keel options. I have a 79 8.0b with the shoal draft and have wished for some larger keel traits when in heavier weather. Not enough to trade off being able to anchor in knee deep water though. The decks on all of them that I have seen are balsa cored but the boat is heavier built and has more big boat amenities than most of that size IMO. All that aside.... Realistically, until you see this thing out of the water and inspect what kind of a job was done, or even see how it might react under sail, its all pretty much just playing armchair quarterback....

As for getting the boat back, I would check on quotes to have it shipped so you can put it on jackstands where you are going to keep it and build the trailer up to fit at your convenience when you can take good measurements. It would be a real kick in the nuts to get all the way there and find out that the pdf and the actual boat aren't built exactly alike. Another option would be to take a few days and an equipment trailer if you have one available, have the boat hauled out at a marina, take a day to build a cradle out of wood and drop it on there to get it back. Unloading once back in Colorado might be the daunting end of that idea though!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome