SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dynema to dacron splice?
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 04-03-2017
Stumble

Re: Dynema to dacron splice?

The problem with the splice that Overboard linked to is that if you don get it exactly perfectly balanced between transferring the load between the core and the cover, and I have no idea how to get this to actually work out correctly, when placed under a high load the splice herniates and either the core or the cover takes to much load and gets distorted. It works fine for low load applications like a furling line, or lazy jack lines, but for a backstay I doubt it. I have ruptured a couple of these splices before giving up on them.

For a backstay you really want the dyneema to carry the load all the time to keep the stretch down. You don't gain anything by transferring the load to a polyester line instead.

My recommendation would be to buy enough dyneema to run from the mast all the way to the winch plus about 10 feet. Then buy another ~20' of Yale Cordage Line Cover Only | APS .

Then just bury the dyneema inside the cover, and do a standard taper splice such that you have ~10' of just cover hanging off the back.

Greg
The Following User Says Thank You to Stumble For This Useful Post:
svselkie02 (04-04-2017)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome