SailNet Community - View Single Post - Water based anti-fouling in the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #66 of Old 04-04-2017 Thread Starter
TakeFive

Re: Water based anti-fouling in the Chesapeake

My purpose in starting this thread was to discuss some different paint options than the standard paint lines that everyone is always pushing. I had sworn by Ultima SR-40/WM PCA Gold before, but my new boat and new location were an opportunity to consider alternatives. I'm not suggesting that anyone should do what I am doing, but I also think it's healthy to reconsider one's cherished beliefs occasionally. I re-think all the options every time I paint.

Seeing that Nautical ProGuard Ablative had never been mentioned on Sailnet, and never been reviewed in Practical Sailor or any other major publication, I thought you guys would be interested in hearing about my good experience with it so far. If not, then just put me on ignore.

I do not ever intend to re-paint my entire bottom every year. I've always done a few touchups every off-season, and I intentionally save some leftover paint to do that in future years. Seeing how well my ProGuard performed for me, and how much pristine paint is left on the vast majority of the bottom, I have good reason to believe that it will last me 2-3 seasons with only minor touchups. If not, I'll be looking for a different paint. But for this coming season, I've ordered one gallon of the stuff to effectively do large area touchups for the next couple of years. I'm not even going to mask off the bootstripe, because the actual waterline (where some wear occurred) is far enough below the masking line that I can touch it up without masking.

This discussion has also morphed into a debate on winter haulouts. I can see the benefits of staying in the water all year. If I lived 45 minutes or less from a good sailing location, I'd leave her in too. But I live an hour and 45 minutes away, and I just don't want to have to worry about the things that can go wrong in a winter storm. So I haul out at a local club that's 12 minutes from my house, and only charges me $400 for haulout/storage/launch. Every storm I can run down and check on things easily - plus easy proximity for winter projects. My walk-through transom with swim ladder makes for a trivial climb into the boat. I've been to the boat in 40+ mph winds on the stands, and I've seen no problems with energy dissipation. I've never even seen a hint of oil canning on the hull. Insurance statistics say the boat is safer on stands, though clearly neither in-water or on the hard is 100% perfect.

So to all of you who are fortunate enough to enjoy being in the water all winter, good for you! It's just not a perfect solution for everyone.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome