SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just purchased a 1973 Pearson 30, need advice.
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 05-14-2017
Skipper Jer

Re: Just purchased a 1973 Pearson 30, need advice.

"the bulkhead has shifted due to the head lock." not familiar with that term, head lock.
The engine, is the battery dead, the starter motor shot, the bearings seized, rings frozen to the cylinder walls? Can you rock the engine by hand? I won't pull it out till it was determined that the engine is seized and even then all may not be lost. Some penetrating oil may free the rings. If the bearings are seized then that is another story.

The cockpit floor around the tiller probably has its plywood core soaked so its rotten. No big deal, just hours in a coffin like space with toxic epoxy fumes and she be as stiff as new. And when you are there check the hoses that connect the cockpit drains to the scuppers. Bet you that they are original and will crumble in your hand at the first touch.

What am i looking at in that last picture, daylight at the end of the tunnel or another train coming down the track?

You need metal or G10 backing plates on the thru bolts for fittings that take load, cleats, stanchions, travelers, windlass, ect.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.

Last edited by Skipper Jer; 05-14-2017 at 06:42 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome