SailNet Community - View Single Post - St. Lawrence Seaway - high water summer 2017
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 06-14-2017
Arcb

Re: St. Lawrence Seaway - high water summer 2017

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Your biggest concern will be strong currents. I guess if there are hot spots to be concerned about, going from West to East:

-Fiddler's Elbow: just above Gananoque will be ugly if you chose to take the Canadian Middle Channel. I would expect eddies, boils and possibly whirlpools. Not a big deal, they may swing you 90* but there is room to correct. Or you could avoid the area by taking the main shipping channel.

-Brockville Narrows: no dig deal, will just be slow getting back up.

-Above Iroquois Lock: No big deal, it will just be slow getting back up.

-Below Iroquois Lock there is a cross current that will push you towards the Canadian (North) Shore, no big deal provided there isn't an upbound freighter. Maybe wait if there is, it's pretty narrow in there.

-Above Morrisburg there is strong current in line with the river. Avoid any water that looks white, might be very slow going back up river.

-If you decide to go into Cornwall, expect both a cross current and significant downbound current approaching Cornwall. It might be worth skipping Cornwall if that was a planned stop.

You should be okay below that. Use caution around the bridges at Valley Field, currents are weird, give freighters lots of room (and there isn't much room to give, wait, let them clear if you can).

I would say the main thing is to give the big boys room, they are struggling a bit. Getting mashed into a freighter would be bad, but common sense and timing should easily mitigate the risk.

Leave extra time for getting back up river. Have fun, you will fly down river, but the truck back up may be dog slow, depending on your engine.

Edit: Couple of things to remember, if you are getting a 4 knot push down river, your speed differential coming back up will be 8 knots (+ 4 knots coming down, -4 knots coming up). Also remember, the down bound freighters will be moving fast and this will influence there maneuverability, their advance and transfer may be increased, so be cautious if you are on the outside bend in a river if there is a downbound freighter, it might be worth avoiding a situation like that unless you can get right out of the channel.

Last edited by Arcb; 06-14-2017 at 08:05 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome