SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #691 of Old 06-20-2017 Thread Starter
chef2sail

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Cranking up from Cape Charles. At 7.5 in about 18 knots on a beam reach toward Windmill Point. 11 large tankers anchored at rage mouth of the Chesapeake. We had a clear view of the bridge part of the Bay Bridge Tunnel when we left and had a quick debate whether to go for Cape May as the winds were perfect for the next 36 hours but decided to stay within the Bays confines.

My statement to Donna was we would " have to motor the Delaware River with the green heads" and although she loves Cape May, that quip decided it. We have had no lack of wind the whole trip so far. In the Cape Charles town marina last night we saw stead 40 gust to 55 for about 3 hours before the T storms heralding the front passage hit us. Then we had a " railroad car track" of continual storms along the front dropping 3.4 inches of radar n in 6 hours according to the radio this AM.

Last night a family from the Sassafrass pulled in with an old 50 + Valiant in poor condition. Grandparents kids, grandkids, we saw 8 pile off the boat. When I walked by I noticed the Teak deck was in very poor condition as were the hatches. I can only imagine how many leaks occurred last night. Between the rIn and the wind any leak would have showed its face.

We had a good time in Cape Charles. It seems if you want wind constantly, that's the place to go with the alternating SW and sea breeze from the S and SE there.

So we have started heading north slightly. Should make the 30 mikes to The Rappahanock in 4 hours. That's moving for Haleakula.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome