SailNet Community - View Single Post - Shopping around for the 10-20yr boat, need some info on the CS33's
View Single Post
post #13 of Old 06-20-2017
FreeAgent

Re: Shopping around for the 10-20yr boat, need some info on the CS33's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
With my last boat I had some concerns about the 30 year old Perkins, so I hired a mechanic from St Catharines. He was excellent. He dealt Betas and Volvos (I think) but after his evaluation recommended that I keep the old 4.108. And he didn't charge me, because I had hired him to estimate an engine replacement!

It turned out he was right, I used the engine hard for several years and it never once gave me a problem. Mechanics seem to have a way of figuring these things out.
Great that you found a good guy to check engine. I have been present at a couple of surveys of high end boats. In those cases, the surveyor did not check the engine. A second mechanical surveyor was brought in to check the main and generator diesels. That is fine for high value boats, but with 33 footers under $30k these days and for sale boats often sitting on hard, it is hard to get or afford an engine evaluation before making an offer. Engine condition can be put in as a condition of purchase with a hold back, I guess.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome