SailNet Community - View Single Post - heckling?
Thread: heckling?
View Single Post
post #22 of Old 06-22-2017
BarryL

Re: heckling?

Hey,

Last week I sailed in the regular Thursday night race. As we headed towards the first mark I saw a small powerboat anchored about 50 feet from mark, pretty much right in the path of the fleet, with a few guys fishing off it. We were leading, so as we rounded the mark and sailed towards him I said "hey, you have ring side seat to a sailboat race and in the next few minutes about 20 boats are going to be sailing right here." He said something like "that's fine" and then I hear him mumble "you don't own the water." Which is very true but it was also true that 20 boats were going to round that mark and sail right at him. I don't know anything about fishing, but I bet we were going to chase the fish away.

Anyway, the race had two upwind legs and the next time we approached that mark, the fishing boat was anchored about 100 yards upwind of the mark.

Just to prove I have nothing against powerboaters, and even, gasp, jetskiers, later that night, as we were coming in after the race, we passed a jetski with two people on it. The boat appeared to be dead. They had no lights and were drifting, trying to get the thing running. We turned around, threw them a line, and towed them to a dock so they could work on the boat without worrying about being run down or drifting out to sea.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome