SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beneteau 423
Thread: Beneteau 423
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 03-26-2004
Silmaril

Beneteau 423

I know very little on the relative costs in the Beneteau series, but I would imagine the First 40.7, the Farr design, would be a better choice.

It''s only me, but the size of the main cabin "skylites" alone scare me. Also the large ports amidships would be a hinderance docking at the rusty old diesel barge in some remote part of the world.

At almost 5,000 pounds less, the 40.7 would also be more easily driven, and is overall much quicker at all points of sail. Taking DAYS off the long passages, and also taking less of a toll on her crew.

The layout also seems to sleep the same, more or less, in the 40.7.

The standard keel on the 40.7 is a little deep at 7''9" but the shoal draft model is a more reasonable 6''2". Still deep, but not much of a speed penalty and a boon at sea. (Personally I would go for the deep keel and dingy in when necessary, but that''s me)

If you like the construction techniques they offer, take a look at 40.7. Better boat for a circumnavigation, by a long shot!

IMHO, I would go used, find a nice Perry, Island Packet or the like, do a little overhaul work and enjoy your trip!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome