SailNet Community - View Single Post - LOA vs LWL, looking for a boat
View Single Post
post #30 of Old 07-23-2017
miatapaul
Old enough to know better

Re: LOA vs LWL, looking for a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Jer View Post
Iron ballast and encapsulated? If it is then I'll pass. Yea the Moody group has a free trial but you can't ask technical questions. I'll try the free membership and ask about ballast see if I get any worthwhile answers. The big draw on the Moody is the third cabin. We did an RV trip last summer. The grandkids had to sleep on the dinning room table converted into a bed. Truly don't want to go thru that again, especially on a boat. Didn't think she was an ugly duckling, more like an average Jane.
Flame suit on.
Yea, she is not offensive at all just not a standout. Aesthetically very staid. Not "modern" and not really "classic" either. As you said average Jane. Often looks are not at the top of the heap, especially with other needs. Lack of exterior wood is nice for sure too! I thought all Moody boats had bolt on keel, but not sure how that would do with the centerboard. They do have issues with corrosion as they used milled steel rather than stainless to avoid the crevice corrosion issues of SS. I was not familiar with these but it appears not many of the centerboard ones were made. If I was ready to move this big I might be interested. I really don't know what the phrase "seriously for sale" is supposed to mean though! There is a Moody 41 listed in the UK lists it as a hydraulic lifting keel. There are some photos of the keel in the listing.

1983 Moody 41 Lift Keel Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome