SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beneteau 423
Thread: Beneteau 423
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 04-01-2004
garywayne

Beneteau 423

I think the B-423 would make a great coastal cruiser, but I don''t feel that any Beneteau Catalina or Hunter is right for offshore world wide cruising, and would suggest you look for boats built for this purpose. Specifically, you would need a V--shaped hull, especially in the foward section, to avoid excesssive pounding in heavy seas, a skeg mounted rudder, deeper bilges, more storage, a safe sea berth (I love the 423''s large centerline V-berth, but its not where I''d want to be on an offshore passage), more tankage, a smaller cockpit, with a bridedeck (this minimizes anount of sea water on board from rogue waves), and so on. As to the First series--these are designed for racing primarily and would not be right for any long term cruising. They are lighter, more tender and have even less stowage and tankage. I''m not knocking the quality of Beneteaus. i own one and love it. But all sailboats are compromises of speed stability, comfort, etc. For offshore cruising you need to look at boats designed for the job.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome