SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beneteau 423
Thread: Beneteau 423
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 04-01-2004
Jeff_H
Administrator

Beneteau 423

I somewhat disagree with you regarding the recent First seriues boats. While the Firsts definitely offer more performance orientation than the ''number series'' and can be raced very competitively even at a grand prix level, they also make very good performance cruisers and structurally are a lot more robust than the number series and offer a more comfortable motion and seaworthiness. I race on a 4 season old 40.7 that has been campaigned hard for 4 seasons and has over 10,000 offshore miles. The boat still looks and feels like a new boat. I have been amazed at how rigid and creak free the boat is when driven hard. While it is true that the recent First series do not have as much form stability (stiffness) as the number series, the Firsts have a lot more stability. Stiffness is not a desireable characteristic for offshore boats as it results in a more violent motion.

I disagree that they lack storage or tankage. They have a lot of storage and tankage for a 17,000 boat.

All of that said, I agree that a purpose built performance offshore cruiser would be a better choice.

Respectfully,
Jeff

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome