SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beneteau 423 vs 473
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 11-19-2008
Vasco
Warm Weather Sailor

Having sailed both and having cruised for a couple of months in a 423, I would go with the 423. Of all the "3's", the 423 is the best looking and best proportioned and, in my view, the best sailer. I ended up with a 393 because my wife preferred the layout but I must admit the 423 is the better boat. The only drawback was the Volvo and, in the first few years, the Volvo (D2 55 if I remember right) has had its problems.

If you need a generator you can put one in the starboard cockpit locker. The one I cruised on had one. The only thing I didn't like was the small size of the second head (the 393 second head is bigger) and my wife did not like the galley and the microwave being above the stove. Also the hatch in the V berth is aft of the bunk so you don't get the full effect of a breeze at anchor. These are minor things.

The biggest problem we found with the 423 was that the counter tops were cracking but Beneteau sent a guy from France around and replaced them. All custom work and an indication of the good support you get from this manufacturer.

The pic is my buddy's 423 sitting in the mud taken in 2005 from my 393 also sitting in the mud. The 423 was sold a year ago, a terrific bargain for the new owner. Just read the Catalina post. The Beneteau has a lot more storage. And make sure you get an arch! I had them put one on my 393 when I saw the 423 arch.

Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Vasco; 11-19-2008 at 05:33 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome