SailNet Community - View Single Post - Baja Ha Ha - Do you Easterner's Care?
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 11-20-2008 Thread Starter
Vitesse473
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Do you plan to head back north? I understand that is more difficult than the downhill run. How long will you stay put in the Sea of Cortez?
Plan is to keep the boat in La Paz until April so we can do atleast 3 commuter cruises. Two with other couples, and one week for the kids spring break. There is the annual Sea of Cortez race week at the end of April, which I am hoping to attend (slowly hinting to the wifey). After that, I'll sail her back to Cabo where a delivery captain and crew will "Baja Bash" to San Diego. I can't afford 10-15 days off work to knock my teeth out. Once in San Diego, I'll do a couple of long weekend cruises to Catalina Island, and then head up to Santa Barbara where we have family (yes, evacuated from the big blaze, but house was spared). After that, I plan to do the bash around Point Conception on up to San Francisco and then back into the SF Bay delta where she becomes our weekend condo.

To answer the question of why the Ha Ha has stops. Pretty simple really. about 1/4 of the fleet likes the racing aspect, and the rest like to take it slow. It's great to have 3 legs so you can start/finish three times. They give extra weighting to those who sail the entire leg(s). The social aspect along the way just makes it all the more fun. Heading offshore for 2-3 nights at a time is fun and challenging, but it's nice to look forward to all the boats meeting up in one spot for the boat and beach party's. It really allows the crew to rest up and have a good time. It also extends the trip into 10 days, as opposed to 4-5.

Will I do it again. You betcha! Probably not again next year, but certainly the year after. I hope to bring my kids along next time, which will force me to mellow out and go slow(er). The 10 or so kids that attended this one really seemed to have a great time. They also deliver (as we did) school supplies to local Mexican towns that have nothing. That's pretty neat!

Would love to do one of those East Coast events some day. I'd prefer the offshore ones, not the ICW route. Bluewater, fresh breeze and fishing is contagious!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome