SailNet Community - View Single Post - Snow Load Sinks Boats
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 12-24-2008 Thread Starter
Sequitur
... a logical conclusion

Snow Load Sinks Boats

We've been enjoying the benefits of Global Warming here along the British Columbia coast for the past few weeks. Where normally this time of year people are bragging to their friends back east about their afternoon sailing or round of golf, this year it has been consistently below freezing nearly the entire month of December. We have had several daily low records and a new all-time low record set. It started snowing early last week, and has continued with little interruption ever since.

This morning the temperature nudged above freezing for the first time in weeks, and the falling snow became wetter as it tried to turn to rain. A snow sample and some quick calculations told me I would by now have just over two tons of snow on Sequitur. The forecast is for the precipitation to turn to rain and and for temperatures to rise to 3 on Christmas Day and to 5 on Boxing Day, with dips to just below freezing both nights. This would add considerably to the load on Sequitur. Time for snow removal.

Around noon I drove down to Granville Island through nearly deserted streets that should have been bustling with Christmas Eve shoppers. I grabbed the Bowen Island water taxi to Snug Cove and waddled through knee-deep snow along the floats my slip and shot the following 'before' photo:

Forty-five minutes of shovelling lifted Sequitur about 5cm out of the water, and the rains over the next few days should wash the rest of the snow off her. Here's a shot after shovelling about half a metre of snow off Sequitur:

I grabbed the water taxi back to Vancouver, and as we came into False Creek, I saw most of the boats in the marinas still had full snow loads. Several of them were well below their lines, and some of the smaller boats in the Burrard Civic Marina were dangerously low. We are not accustomed to snow like this on this coast, and few people know the risks of allowing heavy accumulations of snow on their boats.

After I returned home, I did a quick Google search and found the following link about a boat sinking from its snow load:

Snow: Boats sink in La Conner, Blaine

Cheers,
Michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome