SailNet Community - View Single Post - Removing tranny/bell-housing on a Universal M4-30
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 01-19-2009
Maine Sail
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub911 View Post
Thanks, Maine Sail. I agree impressive pictures and thorough description. But what's even MORE IMPRESSIVE, is the condition of your bilge. My God, Maine, you could melt butter and eat lobsters out of that hold. Nice set up!!!

One quick verification: It looks as though your set up has the flywheel facing forward, hence your motor mount comments should be reversed (e.g. loosen water pump end mounts, undo flywheel end mounts) if my shaft log is a straight shot aft of my tranny. Right?

Also, a follow-up on the alignment. Just how do you do that? I mean, I get the up/down setting of the motor mounts, but how do I know when it's centered. And is there a port/starboard setting?

Thank you very much!
I used the term "rear motor mounts" because I figured you did not have a v-drive, as I do, based on your description.

Sorry you think that is clean! That is dirty by my standards but I was working...

Check for shaft centered from outside the boat looking at the location of the shaft in the stern tube unless you have a full keel. As for port stbd you actually slide the motor mounts left and right. Take your time and buy good feeler gauges. The max allowable variation is .004" but with a small coupling you should be able to get to .002 or .003 as checked at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 & 9:00 with teh coupling bolts loose..

One tip though. After you have moved a mount and re-tightened it shake the engine around by hand a fair amount to settle it in the mounts and then check your alignment. By not shaking or wiggling the mounts to re-seat the engine in them you will have very poor odds of getting a good alignment..

Adjust, tighten, wiggle, check, adjust, tighten, wiggle check over and over......

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome