SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pounding on a Beneteau 423
View Single Post
post #24 of Old 02-17-2009
k1vsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
I just have not seen or heard of that. And it would surprise me greatly becaue all hulls, even so-called flat ones, are not really "flat", but have some curvature to them. But then again, my view here probably is more a function of my ignorance.

I'm going to post something on CSBB, as Bob Perry frequents that site, and I bet we can get a definitive answer on the issue. All joking aside, I most certainly could be very wrong. Let's find out.

I used the term "flat" in a relative context. Next time you are strolling about a marina with lots of boats sitting on the hard, compare the fwd section hull forms and you will notice that some are less rounded- more flat, particularly toward the bow as some manufacturers use that shape form to gain interior volume.

The hull flex was most noticeable close to the design waterline. We were on a predominantly port tack pounding into a 4-6 ft sea with a stiff breeze for approximately 10 hours. Using a flashlight to cast a shadow across the hull interior, the flex was pronounced and observed by all of us, not just me. As it was close to the fwd bulkhead, I attribute the oil canning to the hull form and structure rather than lack of support evidenced by the proximity of the bulkhead.

Cruisingdad -
didn't notice a list but the boat was pretty packed, the stern definitely squatted which is an inherent trait of many contemporary hull forms, sole plates felt like walking on a see-saw, and of course a leak was evident directly over my berth... inevitable I guess.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome