SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pounding on a Beneteau 423
View Single Post
post #31 of Old 02-18-2009
JohnRPollard

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
Feel free to listen to some surveyor who wasn't there or from the consensus of a group of knowledgeable sailors who were and know the what "deck flexing" is - this has absolutely nothing to do with the issue here and most surveyors should be able to tell the difference...

Regarding the flat hull and pounding, I said both were relative terms - this boat has/does both compared to similar sized and priced competitors - again, your choice.

Yeah, Nika, I was going to follow-up and mention that while your surveyor's comments are interesting, they seem to focus on deck issues. K1 was specifically discussing oil-canning of the hull, not deck, in a moderately heavy but fairly typical seaway.

As for the pounding, my impression is that sailors in recent years have increasingly come to accept pounding as a fact of life with modern hull designs. Evidenced by use of words like "relatively moderate" when discussing the extant to which a tested hull pounds, as though this is a welcome attribute.

The flatter modern hulls have certain advantages over older designs, but their acknowledged propensity to pound is not one of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome